Categories
Agency tips

Mind the language gap! Words to never say in a sales situation

• By acaboom-admin on January 10th, 2024 •

From the initial contact to the crucial market appraisal, every word uttered can either build trust and rapport or create unnecessary barriers with vendors. But could a simple word lose an instruction? We think what you say matters. Here are some phrases that should be avoided at all costs.

Why what you say matters

The power of language in sales cannot be overstated. Research consistently shows that the words we choose influence perceptions, shape attitudes, and ultimately impact decisions. A study conducted by Harvard Business Review found that 93% of communication effectiveness is determined by non-verbal cues and tone, leaving a mere 7% attributed to the actual words spoken. This emphasises the importance of selecting words carefully, especially in the context of market appraisals where building trust is paramount.

Don’t say ‘contracts’

The term ‘contracts’ carries a weighty connotation, evoking images of being tied down and locked into commitments. When discussing agreements during a market appraisal, it is essential to choose language that conveys flexibility and collaboration rather than strict obligations. Instead of mentioning ‘contracts,’ opt for phrases like ‘agreement’ or ‘arrangement,’ or simply ‘paperwork’, which imply a mutual understanding between parties or some light admin.

‘Sign this’ is another – according to Contracting business, a better approach is to say “Please okay this here,” or “Please okay this and date it.”

Don’t say ‘I’ll chase you/ I’ll follow up’

In the fast-paced world of property transactions, maintaining timely communication is crucial. However, the phrase ‘I’ll chase you/ follow up’ can inadvertently create a negative impression of hounding. Instead, emphasize your commitment to proactively managing the process by saying, ‘I will keep you informed’ or ‘I’ll be in touch regularly with updates’ or even better, ‘I will only get in touch when you are reading your proposal.’

(Using Acaboom, it’s possible to tell!)

A study by the Institute of Customer Service found that 72% of customers associate the term ‘chase’ with a sense of urgency that can be perceived as pushy or aggressive. On the contrary, using more positive and proactive language can contribute to a smoother and more collaborative client-agent relationship.

Avoid ‘costly’

Refrain from describing potential improvements or suggested actions as ‘costly.’ Instead, use terms like ‘investment’ or ‘value-adding.’ In the State of Sales 2021 report, 82% of buyers said transparent pricing was “important” or “very important” to them. Answer questions about cost thoroughly and honestly, then demonstrate why the solution is worth the investment.

Steer clear of ‘bargain’

While it may seem enticing, using the term ‘bargain’ in the context of property can undermine the perceived value. A survey by Home Buyers and Sellers reported that 62% of respondents found the term ‘bargain’ to be synonymous with compromises in quality or hidden issues. Opt for phrases like ‘great value’ or ‘competitive price’ instead.

Choosing language that resonates positively with clients during market appraisals is not just a matter of preference; it significantly influences the outcome of the client-agent relationship and the overall success of property transactions.

What should you say? 

Yale University has found that the following words are the most persuasive in the English language:

  • easy
  • results
  • save
  • discover, reveal
  • guarantee
  • safety
  • free
  • profit, return
  • health
  • love
  • money, cash
  • investment
  • proven
  • you, yours
  • gain, benefit
  • now, new

Conclusion

In the realm of property professionals, mastering the nuances of effective communication is essential for success. From the initial contact to the crucial market appraisal, the words you choose can either facilitate trust and collaboration or create unnecessary barriers. Understanding the impact of language, backed by relevant studies and data, is a powerful tool that can elevate your property professionalism.